Ron, there are two types of home brew activity: one, which tries to replace existing commercial products with self made stuff. Typical examples for this are my feeble attempts at home brewing, or the emulsions that you brew in your dark room shed. This form of home brew is relatively easy in so far as one can replace one component with self mixed version, fine tune self mixed version, then move on to next component of the whole process. Raw materials and lots of public knowledge are available, that's why this form of home brew activity is quite popular here.

The second form, and this is was what Stephen did, is to replace a whole product or process that is no longer commercially available. In the case of Kodachrome a whole product line went belly up, first the coated emulsion, then the process. Stephen could not use bath 1-5 from a kit, then use and fine tune a self made bath 6, then continue with the rest of the commercial kit, nope, he had to mix the whole shebang. At once. And he could not sneak into a K14 processing lab and measure pH or specific gravity of individual bathes because there is no K14 lab today. But that last bit makes Stephens efforts very valuable to some: either convince Stephen, or someone who picks up his work, to process your Kodachrome, or use your stock as aged low ISO b&w emulsion, or toss it.

So the question is, and as it looks only Stephen can answer this: how many serious inquiries for K14 processing did you really get and how much were these people willing to spend? Would the owner of these Shuttle films give some of them to whoever gets these processed successfully, or would this require too much red tape?

Personally I have never shot a single roll of Kodachrome in my whole life, but if you tell me there is a potential market of say US$ 100000, then I could easily see myself putting in a serious effort into starting up such an operation.