I don't like to stir up controversy, but I think this thread is very valuable and should continue. I perfectly support the position of the experts who point out the plain fact that there are better color film stocks available and that Kodachrome had lost its popularity long before the last roll was made. I appreciate that there are fewer dye couplers which are soluble in a strongly alkali developer and therefore the palette to Kodachrome is smaller than other films. I realize the inherent problems with positive to positive duplication--the toes overlap and all the rest of it. I concede that there is magenta spillover into the other layers due to stubborn grains which do not develop at the proper time. I am persuaded by all of the scientific arguments; I agree with the reasoning of the engineers--gone are the buffalo!

But Kodachrome is one of the most important photographic films ever made. Probably more than ninety percent of the population of the United States has seen a Kodachrome image: the Zapruder film; the atomic bomb test at Trinity; the Battle of Midway; raising the flag at Iwo Jima; Marilyn Monroe in Korea; millions of pictures of picnics, birthday parties and the Grand Canyon. Who ever wrote a song about Autochromes?

I understand there are faster airplanes, but they say that there will always be an airworthy Spitfire. Should we throw away the recipe to Coca Cola? Here is a joke to illustrate my point: Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a band before "Wings"? The point is that the only band anyone has ever heard of McCartney belonging to was the Beatles--and the only color film most people have ever heard of is Kodachrome. I'm sure that someone will come up with a soup to develop the leftover rolls. Moreover, someone will eventually manufacture a monopack color film which requires dye couplers in the developing fluids.