Thanks all for the good input;

I am not obsessed with grain size. I'M NOT I'M NOT I'M NOT I'M NOT I'M NOT - Well - maybe a little, anyway.

The guessing on exposure is only on my TLR where I am shooting - as found - with no other equipment, 90% I get my exposure right on for my objectives using a zone vi / pentax spot meter.

I am comparing the single bath version of DiXactol, which I have used a lot in the last year with a similar roll of FP4 120 done with D23. The DiXactol negs look very good so maybe I'll just stick with what I am doing - I'll decide when the prints are dry.

I guess I'll stick with FP4 for anything I don't need speed for, which is fairly often. I like the smooth mid tones I get with both PMK and DiXactol and just for fun I did try a roll of TRI X and HP5 at 1600 each to compare that. Maybe the HP5 will be better for pushing and I used D76r (mixed from formula in Film Developers cookbook) for that.

I guess at the end of this thought, the combinations I use are still fairly optimal for what I want to acheive and this whole thing started when I tried to get LF results from a MF camera with LF combinations.

So the real question is, how do I get Pan F 50 or Agfa 25 grain with TRI X speed and range with the highlight separation of Pyro? And don't tell me Photoshop 7! - and ... If I stumble on it, I'll let you all know!

Thanks -- Frank