Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
No, as you've probably read, I do something else entirely. I'm not an artist. I'm a weekend photographic hacker. But it's that something else that I do that allows me to sustain my hacking, and is a good part of the reason I can continue to pursue it. Half of my hacking is enabled by that something else. And the other half is therapy enabling survival of that something else.

It's a strange symbiosis.

Ken
When I was doing forensics, this was exactly me as well. Photography and working in the darkroom kept me sane enough to keep doing that which paid for the film, paper, and chemicals. Now that my "day job" is not for pay (stay at home mom), I think I need the de-stressing part even more, oddly enough.

As for the original article, I totally agree with him. I've seen it in action even in a small museum's photo class. Before I had my own darkroom, I took classes at a museum school to gain access to their darkroom. Near the start of the second or third semester, I had a different instructor than the first class and we took a tour of the galleries upstairs (exhibit of current and former instructors' works). The new instructor was giving a very artspeak description of a photo by the first instructor and how he'd supposedly been thinking about the existentialism, blah, blah, etc... In the class before, the first instructor had shown us that very print and said he took it because he liked the light and needed to finish the roll of film so he could get the other shots. He printed it because he still liked the light and thought the contrast was good, plus, he said, he could print it very easily, no major burning and dodging. So the later episode in the gallery with the other instructor and the artspeak just sorta kickstarted my cynicism for ART and I decided to just do what I like how I want to and not worry about whether I was "saying something" with my images other than that it was a decent looking scene that I'd decided to capture on film.