Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
I've had nothing but issues doing what you suggest. It isn't until I remove all of the excess liquid that I get squeaky clean negatives.
The point is that what works for you might not work for everybody else. My own situation is such that I can not do anything about cat hair and dust in the air; the house we live in is too small to claim an individual room as darkroom, so I'm confined to using a section of an unfinished basement in a 100 year old house, which I share with three cats, storage shelves, laundry machine and drier, furnace, water heater, and a big dehumidifier. When I do as you suggest, I end up with dust all over the film.

The point of my long explanation of what I do has to do with debunking the common thought that 'absolutely nothing' can touch the emulsion when finishing up. I am living proof that it works very well, if done with great care.
I am also living proof that doing nothing at all results in perfectly fine negatives.

Disclaimer: I use a drying cabinet and do not mess with it after I hang it. However, before that, I used the bathroom and had no issues either.

How do you expect removing excess moisture is going to protect you against cat hair or dust in the air though? The film is saturated with moisture and will be tacky until it isn't tacky. The surface water, which is gravity drawn, isn't going to massively change the equation when it comes to the core removal of moisture from the film. Even if you used a completely lint-free cloth, wiped off all excess moisture (ignoring the possibility of scratches), any dust that shows up is still going to adhere.