Quote Originally Posted by FL Guy View Post
General question related to your experience using Ilford Delta 3200 pulled to 1600 ISO or lower.

Which developer chemistry do you have best experience/results with, and do you pull exposure lower than 1600 ISO? I have seen comments related to using the product @ 1000 ISO, but I use a lab that uses a "+1, -1" pricing for push/pull services when processing, and to consistently expect results from a lab I think you need to follow their practices as much as possible.

Thoughts and comments, all are welcome. I would be interested in comments related to grain structure based on pulling exposure. And if you use both 35mm and MF, any comments related to format differences would be great also.

Regards,

FL Guy
I have used a fair amount of Delta 3200, both in 35mm and 120, and prints from both formats show highly similar tonality. Of course the 35mm has more grain, but it's lovely grain and not objectionable at all. The surprise of a lifetime came to me when I used Delta 3200 with Rodinal and made 16x20" darkroom prints from 35mm. The texture is absolutely beautiful, and there is a lot of detail in those negatives, almost sort of behind all that wonderful grain.

In 120 I have to say it's almost the perfect portrait film. Beautiful film that can be developed to low contrast if you like that sort of tonality in your prints, or very high contrast if that's to your liking. The advice to shoot the film at 1600 and develop it for the instructions Ilford gives for EI 3200 is great for medium contrast lighting. I've used it with Edwal 12, HC-110, Rodinal, and Ilfotec DD-X. The results are spectacular in all developers, although a bit different. What I'm saying here is that it's a remarkably flexible film.

Good luck!