Michael - I have a friend who now exclusively does studio product and food shots for publication, and for him the yaw-free controls and other calibrated features of the Sinar P system are essential. But even Sinar introduced the X series which gave the same mechanical control, but saved the engraving expense of all those calibrations which many people never used anyway. If you have zero detents, most everything else is done visually anyway. I rarely
even used the yaw-free features. Besides some studio and architectural applications, I used various configurations of the Sinar 4x5 system for about
twenty years for hundreds of backpacking trips in all kinds of desert and mtn weather. Equip accidents and general wear and tear were inevitable. Sinar
components were easy to acquire, unlike Linhof or Toyo. You can also interchange bellows from the Horseman monorails. The tripod mount is easy to
balance anywhere along the length of the rail, unlike a Technikardan. The Toyo VX is a very fine camera with a urethane bellows, but the lensboards are
unusually big, making the camera usually hard to pack for its format, though smaller than a Sinar P. But the VX, Technikardan, Arcas are all relatively
expensive compared to the more abundant Sinars, which are flooding the used market at the moment. But for me personally, the pick of the litter is the
Norma. It just takes some luck and patience to find a clean one, but they do turn up, and often at a good price. Finding an original tapered bellows in good condition is harder, but you can always use bag and square bellows from either Sinar or Horseman. Folding and technical cameras are a slightly different subject. I use a little 4x5 Ebony folder for a airline travel and long backpacks, but it's slower to set up and use than a monorail. For my personal 8x10
use, a folder is the only realistic option in a backpack. I know it can all be confusing, kinda like being a kid in a candy store. The main thing is not to be
too paranoid about making the wrong choice. There are many excellent view cameras out there, and once you become comfortable with your choice,
you just start using it instinctively. You want good solid quality which locks down tight, but otherwise I wouldn't bother getting too obsessed with all
the potential bells and whistles you'll probably never use anyway.