Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
And the argument is always wrong.
If there is one thing I've learned in life it is that absolute assertions are typically wrong. They may appear correct from a specific perspective but when viewed from a different angle they normally look pretty skewed.

Photographs, at best, can only see what was in front of the camera. The laws of physics determine their angle view and the depth of field. Like writers choosing which story to tell, we photographers choose what point our cameras at, what we focus on, and when to snap the shutter.

A beautiful grand baby came into our lives late last year. On our first cross country visit to see her, her mama was struggling with that demanding little lump of work that took 27 hours to bring into the world and all that lump wanted was to suck mama dry, poop, pee, sleep, and cry at all hours.

Like normal, it took a while for baby to become aware enough to actually do anything sentient like look at mama and smile. Being the first child mama was expecting a quicker connection so she was a bit frustrated but there were also beautiful moments where mama was obviously happy with baby.

So, which story do I shoot for; the one that portrays mama's frustrations or mama's dreams? Which perspective is right, which matters, which do I want to remember?

Landscape shooters choices are no different as they wait for the perfect light, perfect clouds, no clouds...

Journalists face the same choices too as they decide which of the stories unfolding in front of them is important. Is it the story of the life of 18 year old conscript who is just trying to live another day in a war he didn't start or of the larger political battle going on around him?

Photos are rarely objective representations of anything.