Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
Indeed - I've been driving stick shift ever since I started making enough money to buy the car I want instead settling for a used one I could afford. Unfortunately, finding new manual transmission cars these days has become very difficult. After the recession when car manufacturers took such a big hit, most of them stopped producing manual transmission cars - they simply didn't sell well enough. Instead they now produce these idiotic "semi-automatic" cars where you shift, but don't have a clutch. What they fail to realize is that having a manual transmission isn't about the shifting, it's about having the clutch and the whole different way you control your car using it.
Sadly largely true, but fortunately not entirely so. I notice back in my home town area in rural TN they are much more common on dealer lots than here in Atlanta, which is probably largely due to the hideous rush hour traffic we have. I work odd schedules that keep me mostly out of that, usually one day per week, one way only, but this week was driving in it both ways all week (training class, 9-5.) It even has ME muttering about getting a cheap commuter with an auto, and I would if I did that regularly.

OTOH, they are available. I bought a new 2011 Mazda3 in December of 2010. I told the dealer exactly what I wanted, options and transmission and down to acceptable colors from the available choices, and they got me one - from another dealer in Florida. That costs a bit more than finding one that's been sitting on the lot long enough they want to move it, but I'm willing to pay more to get what I want.

Back to the photography topic, I find much of this discussion fascinating, but just too long to read through it all given the other demands on my time. Sigh. But I particularly find the notion that every copy of a digital print is identical save only for minor mechanical imprecision induced by the printer from copy to copy, whereas even the most identical hand made darkroom print varies more, to be something I had not considered before. I read decades ago that one definition of a good printer was someone who could make a bad print then make 10 more copies almost exactly like it. Of course that's not really a "good" printer but consistency is a start, and is not nearly so automatic as clicking number of copies, being sure paper is loaded, clicking print and going to get a beer.