Quote Originally Posted by jseidl View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I may very well have a tendency to overcomplicate things. Leave aside the paper development timer (which is more or less just a stop watch with preset intervals) and the storing of the picture data into a database instead of a manual documentation on paper (including the 3 scans).
The test strip / printing part basically just automates f-stop calculation, note taking, writing down the printing sequence and setting the times for the enlarger. I've done this on paper before and quite often made careless mistakes like forgetting a step in the sequence or setting the wrong time etc. With the program you'd still have to do all the thinking - meaning you decide on the sequence and times yourself.

So this means my approach tin general is too complicated? What I do (no matter if manually or with the program):

Splitgrade:
1. Find the correct soft grade base exposure using the f-stop timing method via test strips
2. Find the correct hard grade base exposure using the f-stop timing method via a second set of test strips
3. Decide the print plan for soft and for hard grade separately. Note this in F-stops from base exposure
4. Execute the print plan

When I do normal Printing, I do:
1. Find the correct base exposure using the f-stop timing method via test strips
2. Find the correct contrast grade with a second set of test strips
3. Decide the print plan (again with soft and for hard grade separately). Note this in F-stops from base exposure
4. Execute the print plan

Please bear in mind I am a total beginner. So if this can be done much easier and faster, any comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks, Josh
Get any decent darkroom guide and a copy of Ansel Adam's "The Print", or most any other book on basic printing techniques. Read the books, make some prints. It's easy. Your computerised approach is like going into the neighbor's yard, digging a hole, and tunneling into you own basement when you have the keys to your door right in your pocket.