Quote Originally Posted by MatthewDunn View Post
My problem is that, coming from digital, I understood only the first sentence. The rest of it could have just as easily been written in ancient Abyssinian...

I am trying to figure out the best way to bridge the gap from where I am now to where the point is at which I understand your post. Maybe a trip down PCH1 is in order...
Don't worry, I've been using film for around 35 years, knowing sorta what I was doing for maybe 15 years, and I can't completely get my head around some of the zone system stuff. The whole "place this reading on this zone" part is where they lose me. It also doesn't help that there are a LOT of people out there who don't quite "get it" but tell other people how to do it. Especially when reading about it, it's not an easy concept. I think seeing it is likely a much better way to learn it and to understand what's going on. For those of us who've never had a scientific approach to photography taught to us, it isn't easy to just pick up (I was taught by artistic types more than by technical ones). Those who do understand it might forget what it's like to be at the beginning.