As I said, I made a short screencast showing how I use the software. I don't think it's over automated and basically is only a couple of convenience features if you already know what you are doing. It certainly is no sort of "Silver Efex" for the drakroom.
http://youtu.be/nTrkDpHdq8o

After some comments here, I thought a lot about the suitable approach for me to become a better printer. I don't see how the pure act of setting the timer manually further helps me learning the basic process (which I think I have already burned into my long term memory after all the test runs). I don't see how taking notes by hand on paper in contrast to having the computer record them for me does help me in learning the stuff better. I don't think having an process timer that rings an alarm when it's time to move paper to the next tray will stop me from knowing the process of developing the print. Whnever I try something new, I do that fully manually at first anyway.
I do think that the most important part is envisioning the final print. Having more time to focus on the way to get there and "working" the print with all the burning, dodging, bleaching, toning, etc. will ultimately be a better investment of my limited time.
As always, YMMV and I respect these opinions.

My 7 year old son started taking pictures now. I gave him my old DSLR (yeah, I know.. ) and set it to full auto. This should help him to focus on the most important parts IMO in photography: "Good" composing of the picture, having fun and getting pictures he is proud of. When he's outgrown the auto mode, we'll gradually find suitable manual options for him (aperture priority, exposure correction, full manual mode, using film, pinhole camera, wet plate photography, ... ). The other way around may prove to be too discouraging for me, ... erm ... him.

Cheers, Josh