Charlie Cramer sold off his dye equip quite awhile back, and now Ctein is throwing in the towel for good, but still has some leftovers for sale.
There are maybe a hundred people in the world still doing dye transfer printing, but only three commercially that I'm aware of, including Jim
Browining (mostly just prints his own works) and Egbert Haneke in Germany, who exposes the matrix film via laser. The redux materials have
been custom run a number of times. My own matrix film was made by Efke, and I mordant my own paper; but it would be nice just to buy the
paper. Some of the blanket comments above about the alleged longevity of certain media versus others are too generalized to warrant taking seriously. There are all kinds of variables relative to display and storage conditions, and in the case of media like either dye transfer or inkjet, the actual ingredients are not necessarily standardized. Many inkjet inks actually contain blends of color utilizing dyes which are closely related to certain dyes sometime used in dye transfer printing - they are "pigments" only in the sense of being "lakes" at best. The nonsense of the post above is also apparent because most laser prints are in fact directly onto Fuji CA paper, and exactly the same thing as I currently use in an enlarger. Ciba is close to extinction, but it doesn't do well under UV either - I've got more than my fair share of experience with Ciba. Nothing is forever - even the Sphinx of Egypt is a weathered mess compared to its original quality. But if any of you are interested in taking up dye transfer printing, it's still potentially one of the most beautiful forms of color printing ever invented, and can still be done if you are patient, innovative, and have a fair amount of time and budget, and above all, love darkroom work. I only have time at the present to
tinker with it off and on, but have learned that the complete process can still be done totally analog, in a well-equipped personal darkroom.