Mr. Myittbittyspottedfrontporchcatchasesawaythathugeco oncatdownthestreet: Wish I knew the question to that myself. Matrices pick up dirt or specks of gelatin and wear out eventually, so when they get old don't perform as well. Older matrices which are reconstituted also generallyneed some tweaking of the dyes to get them to perform like they did before. I've heard of people making well over a hundred prints with a set of them, but I've also seen a lot of sloppy looking production dye prints. But in my case I'm really trying create a modernization of the wash-off relief technique, which post-hardens the matrices rather than using a tanning developer (I have several practical reasons for
preferring this method), and nobody seems to know if there is any pro or con to this which might affect matrice film longevity. But I just can't
see myself making a lot of prints of any single image anyway. The dye transfer process was geared to limited edition printing ... that's about
all I can say. You might query over on the Dye Transfer Forum where there are still a couple of folks tuning in who ran commercial DT labs
back in days of yore.