Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
I think you're overestimating the damage Stephen's post caused Kodak.
I do have a question, though. Do you think 20-25 years ago Kodak would have allowed a distributor to deliver expired goods? I remember a few times, visiting my local camera store, when a Kodak rep was checking expiration dates on products. If an item was even close to past-date, he pulled it.
Distributors have written agreements with the companies they represent. I've no doubt the distributor responsible for this has a contractual agreement to supply fresh goods or, at the very least, not to supply dated goods as new.
I was raised on Kodak. I find their difficulties as painful as most here. But, the ultimate responsibility when you open a yellow box is theirs. They need to do a better job policing their distributors.
I also worked a very high volume lab, and the rep would drop by to shoot the breeze about anything and everything photographic - he was very sadly missed when he left the company.

I always remember him coming in just after Christmas to check on stock levels, to make sure we didn't have anything short dated/out of date. At one time the previous manager didn't rotate the stock very well, and ended up having to sell off cartons of outdated film, at knock-off prices, so he was concerned that perhaps, this had carried over when I was promoted.

At one stage we had well over 1000 cartons of film - most was very long dated, but those that weren't, he simply took back and swapped over for newer stock. (He knew that by splitting it amongst his other customers, he'd be able to get it out into the market place a lot faster than leaving it all with us.)

Sadly, it seems, those days of a rep knowing his product and interacting with the client are long gone - or if Kodak has restructured itself well, and is heel-bent on reviving the film component of it's business, the days of the true "rep" may return. Here's hoping!