Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
I was having a conversation with my oldest daughter over the weekend. She is a young mother with two little kids. All of her photos are digital. I highly encouraged her to get prints made and put them in albums.

"Its ok...I have everything on Facebook and that's secure" she said.

"Can you still log in to your MySpace account?" I asked.

Point taken.

Even if, in theory, your digital files (be they cloud based or not) will be perpetually accessible, there are a thousand human factors that can get in the way. In my daughter's case, she admitted that she couldn't even recall her MySpace user name, and she no longer has the email address she had at the time, so password recovery is probably not possible.

Print. Your. Pictures!
Completely agreed! An acquittance told me something similar about printing and he mentioned it's too expensive, no one does it, all just goes to Facebook.
It lead me to researching the printing market and revived my interest. I happen to shoot and not print much (in both media).
For less than a drink at certain bars, or a meal; one can get 100 4x6" prints. Quite worth it. Other thing is that it takes effort...

Both media are reliable in their own ways, only is that it needs a certain type of effort to keep well.

I found Ron's post on Photo.net about C41 fading. It is an interesting read, here it is: http://photo.net/film-and-processing...0a8CD?start=10
Quote Originally Posted by Ron Andrews Mar 12, 2012; 08:16 p.m.
The long term stability of color negative materials is questionable. Fortunately, faded negatives are not hard to correct when scanning.

First we need to look at the test methods the Henry Wilhelm discusses in the link that John Shriver provided. IMHO, the tables that report the "Days necessary for a 20% loss in the least stable image dye" are worse than worthless. They are highly misleading. They only thing they are good for is predicting the fading at 144 F (or whatever temperature used in a specific test). The results that are highly useful are the "Estimated Years of Dark Storage for 20% Loss of Least Stable Image Dye". See the tables on pages 202 and 203. For these predictions, the film samples were subjected to a variety of high temperature treatments. The dye fade rates are extrapolated back to room temperature. These tests aren't perfect, but there is a huge body of testing that establishes these predictions as the best we know how to do.

Results: The problem with C-41 materials is nearly always the yellow dye. Kodak C-41 films are typically predicted to last 35 to 65 years under these conditions. By comparison, Kodachrome is predicted to last 185 years while Ektachrome is predicted to last 220 years.
John, your just reminded me about letter writing; Really few people do written correspondence (thinking young'uns). A british ladyfriend of my mom usually writes and told me to not worry about replying as she expects no one to do it.