Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
Digital files, as in stored on a hard drive, cloud, viewed on a screen, in a browser, social networks, etc, are essentially worthless and prone to eventually disappear. Anyone really dedicated should at the very least get serious about printing those files for some chance at archival. I have been shooting a bit of digital lately but it is for a photogravure project so for every image there is a digital positive and, more importantly, a copper plate from which beautiful prints are produced that will outlast me and my children. This is the ONLY way I can justify using a digital camera for some of my work. Film is and will always be king.
Well, as much as I love film and take the time to process it well I can't agree that it is absolutely longer lasting than a well cared for, backed-up digital file. All it takes is one fire or flood for every copy of my negatives to be gone. I have an dear friend who lost almost all his negatives in Irene. He and I easily keep multiple copies of our digital work in various places.