OK, first I will make my excuses for not commenting before now—spinal fusion on 6/6 at neck level that has provided really good medicine, and limited all activity with a hard brace to keep the head in place relative to driving, typing, developing, and picture-taking. The right (dominant) hand still doesn’t function correctly. The postcards received were a regular bright spot in 2.5 months of shut-in and recuperation. (Note to self: never re-organize negatives while under the influence of really good medicine …)
1. Uwe —winter scene with snow bank, you later said was on 70-year-old paper—amazing!! The image still holds detail in the snow where there was just a slight tone difference. I have a 99% full 250 sheet box of 12-year- old Kodak Polymax II RC that comes out completely black no matter the exposure. South Carolina is unkind to photo paper.
2. Steve Frizza—Mr. Jiggs—thank you for the picture of my son with his first camera … Honestly, we loved it here, but were confused as to where it came from, or if you actually shot the picture since you mention Tri-X—seeing as how the postcard came from Australia, and Wikipedia says Mr. Jiggs died 10 years before the first Polaroid Land Camera. Just asking …
3. Bruce McCaughey—“The Boat Building Shed”—wonderful tonality and crispness in the detail.
4. Ed Bray—“GWR Pannier Tank 6430”—wonderful that the engine and coach have been preserved. It looks like there is exhaust coming from the stack—is this regularly operating engine? Thank you for the backstory to the image subject . Is it the full frame for the 5x7 negative?
5. Matt King—“Pump House Graffiti”—very interesting approach with the toning. The graffiti artist looks to have been somewhat influenced by Picasso. Nice catch of the ‘street’ art—sometimes we go right by the obvious because it doesn’t fit our mental picture of what will be a good subject.
6. Trond—“Shore”—as I’ve said before, I’m a sucker for tone. An image with good tonal range is like a great song or bottle of wine, and “Shore” is just really pleasing to my eye. I also like the visual play of what look like two specific harmonic sets/tracks of wave that lead from the bottom to the marsh outlet. Maybe no one sees it but me (I have a cataract, and really good medicine), but I enjoy the visual play. Thank you for a memorable image.
7. Ivan S.—“Weathered Pillars”—I really like the subject, and the foreground appears to me to be snow. I would like it better if the snow was lighter/brighter to contrast against the pilings. I guess I would like more contrast, but maybe you had a low contrast subject even with the snow.
8. Peter S. – “Backlot” – this image reminds me of innumerable self portraits of the same style my favorite worst was a detailed self-portrait of my reflection in a window I was shooting through. So is that you or a truly unknown?
9. Anikin – “Airport Security – I didn’t know what to think, figuring it was 3 Amigos in costume. Then I got out my magnifying glass and read “Inchon” on the sign above. I will not be going to Korea … Nice “street capture”.
10. Rachelle – “The Beach” waterfall – very nice. Light and airy with the mist, yet the image looks 3-dimensional. There is a little S-shape in the lower left that hints at another little fall …
11. Kraker – “Hillside” – CYANOTYPE!! Marvelous! I would have liked it more without the little copse of trees on the left, but what a first attempt! Thank you.
12. Hayley – “Dog” – great first print. It caused me to go back and look at my first three rolls. The first two were chemical disasters, but the third, I’m thinking ‘not bad for first attempt’ (I was about 21, so looong ago.). You had a bright background to throw the meter off, but kept great detail in the dog’s face, even in shadow. Not easy.