Quote Originally Posted by veke View Post
I have tried with a focus finder but with spectacles I found it quite desperate. I couldn´t find the grain or to get a view of the photo to know where I am pointing at. Some areas in the photo (like eyes in a portrait in the negative) are sharp but some areas are out of focus due to short depth of field (the blurry background). Should I point at some lighter areas or the darker areas, at the moment I don´t see what I am focusing on...all blackness. Or a very bright light from the enlarger, not good for eyes to stare at it.

Perhaps something is wrong with the mirror of the finder, or I don´t know how to use it correctly. I corrected the lens for my eyesight (a sharp line in the middle). Is there any other way? These finders are pretty expensive, 80 euros, don´t want to buy a new one just to check if this old one is good, or damaged. Magnifying glass costs 2 euros, does someone use that?

I guess this is "The Question of the Month!" I have some other questions in store just in case this doesn´t win any prize.
A "focus finder" is used to check the enlarger's focus, not how well focused the original negative is.

There are essentially two types - a lower magnification type that shows more of the image area, and a higher magnification type that shows more of the grain (aka a "grain focuser").

I use both types, because my lower magnification Bestwell Magna Sight is better in the corners and much easier to use when the enlarger head is quite high, well my grain focuser is more definitive near the centre.

In either case, they work best when there are both dark and light areas in the field of view. The Magna Sight is easier to use when the area in view is also sharply delineated in the negative.