Thanks Reid. This is sort of the logic I had been following but you got me to take a second look and try some things I haven't before and we may have the problem licked. There are a couple of tabs that are to the right of the post in the photo from my first original message. One of them was attached to a lever that was already spring loaded, but the other was just free floating. It seemed like this must be it but any logical way I could come up with to use the spring to put tension on it either didn't work or put an odd torsion on the spring that caused it to pop back out again. Following your advise I tried flipping it and twisting it around a few more ways and came up with something that tensioned the lever, stayed in place, and when I put the face plate back now seems to be causing the timing gears to engage properly. Better yet I must have loosened some gunk along the way because it's not sticking at slower speeds any more. Shutter durations are still about twice the marked speeds which is frankly as good as it's ever worked as long as I've owned it and I can compensate for that. The only strange thing is that now when the shutter speed is set anywhere between 1/10 and 1 sec. I can't cock the shutter. The cocking lever just won't stay engaged. If I move it to a faster speed to cock the shutter though I can then move it back to a speed in that range and it will fire normally. Unless someone has a brilliant and sure fire solution to this I'm going to put the lens back together and live with it as is.
Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick