Quote Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick View Post
I run into this problem myself from time to time, and it's hard to solve without having the parts in hand and without being an expert (which I'm not). When I get really stuck, sometimes just staring at the pieces, or walking away and then taking a second look will help.

The post you mention is probably the best place to start. Most likely, the spring is supposed to be installed with the two ends slightly closer together under tension, and that tension would slightly constrict the coil in the middle of the spring. Start there, and find posts that the spring coil will fit, then look for places to catch or anchor each end of the spring. Also, many times one end of the spring will be anchored against the inside of the case and there may or may not be a groove there. Also be sure to flip the spring over vertically and horizontally when looking for places it could go.

To me, it looks kind of like the spring that puts tension on an M/X flash sync switch and provides the "detent" for the two settings.
Thanks Reid. This is sort of the logic I had been following but you got me to take a second look and try some things I haven't before and we may have the problem licked. There are a couple of tabs that are to the right of the post in the photo from my first original message. One of them was attached to a lever that was already spring loaded, but the other was just free floating. It seemed like this must be it but any logical way I could come up with to use the spring to put tension on it either didn't work or put an odd torsion on the spring that caused it to pop back out again. Following your advise I tried flipping it and twisting it around a few more ways and came up with something that tensioned the lever, stayed in place, and when I put the face plate back now seems to be causing the timing gears to engage properly. Better yet I must have loosened some gunk along the way because it's not sticking at slower speeds any more. Shutter durations are still about twice the marked speeds which is frankly as good as it's ever worked as long as I've owned it and I can compensate for that. The only strange thing is that now when the shutter speed is set anywhere between 1/10 and 1 sec. I can't cock the shutter. The cocking lever just won't stay engaged. If I move it to a faster speed to cock the shutter though I can then move it back to a speed in that range and it will fire normally. Unless someone has a brilliant and sure fire solution to this I'm going to put the lens back together and live with it as is.

- Joe