Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
Just in my own experience I found that I was spending too much time taking (handheld) spot readings here and there and everywhere and trying to average them or bias them to one side or the other such that I sold the meter and made my life easier, and to tell the truth I always been right on since with an averaging meter if it was in good repair. It also helps to know if your meter does in fact meter at 18% as some don't.

Perhaps the best in camera meter I've ever used is the rectangular patch in the FTbn series. Bias it one way or another and you know instantly the best reading for the subject.
Like you I now do a lot of work with the center weighted averaging meters in my various cameras.

And yes a handheld (incident in my case) can add extra time but having an objective measurement to train myself against and match my tools to provided a huge improvement in my exposure setting skill.

It allowed me to understand how each meter saw things, and more importantly, how they got fooled. The incident meter allowed me to "calibrate" my system across all my camera meters. In essence I learned how I had to use each meter to match the reading given by the incident meter and how to judge many situations without a meter.

Still and yet and probably always, for situations I view as truly important, I whip out the incident meter.