Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
If they are to be shot "in lighting where the colour temperature is tightly controlled" then you probably need to find out to what standard this is set and check the filtration needed between your film(s) expected colour-balance and that of the lighting. Better to get this perfectly correct in camera than to try to compensate afterwards somehow.
I have two choices of lighting - 5300K and 6500K. I'm assuming at the moment that colour film is balanced for 5500K, and have been working out the required filtration for the colour temperatures available. My calculations suggest that I need mired shifts of +28 or -7 depending on the source I use, which probably depends on which colour temperature adjustment filter I can find most easily/cheaply. Either filter (82 or 81B) will get me to a mired shift of about 3 from the 5500K ideal. I should also have access to a colour temperature meter to check the actual output.

What film you choose will also depend on how much light there is and what you are photographing in it - are the colour-charts made of artificial paint, ink, natural pigments, a wide-range of colours vs a limited set, or ??
Four 24" 18W fluorescent tubes with a high frequency ballast and brightness control, arranged in a square around the target. It's been a while since I last measured the output from such a setup, but I reckon something like f8 at a sensible (reciprocity-free) shutter speed will be no problem. The target is a ColorChecker Passport, opened at the colour patches (Gretag-Macbeth style grid) and warm/cool/grey patches. I don't know what the patches are made of, but would assume pigments of some sort.

What will be the final output that you require? RA4 prints, B+W prints, projected-slides ? Transparency-films are a bit of an orphan child for reproduction these days, especially as there are so few left, and you might want to stick with neg if you need prints at the end of the process.
No output - they are for comparison with other films (Velvia 50 and 100f, and Ektar 100).