Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
For better or worse, this goes directly to the heart of the issue.

To be constantly reminded that yet another film product, another piece of darkroom equipment, another camera manufacturer are going bust because, well, don't you film idiots realize that digital imaging technology has rendered everything you value, and use, and need, obsolete? What's wrong with you? Can't you see the obvious? Can't you read the writing on the wall. Everyone else can.

No?
This is the thing.

I don't care whether someone shoots film or digital, or both, or neither. I don't begrudge anyone else of their choice, but I do ask that my choices be respected in kind.

I *do* care when someone declares that my choice is not valid because it's not the same as theirs. These are the people who respond to every story about Kodak, every article exploring film with a "what, film is still not dead? WTF? Just shoot digital like I do.", who react with entirely undisguised glee and triumph when bad news shows up. I don't get these people at all. I don't get why they seem so deeply emotionally invested in film going away for good and view every mention of it as an opportunity to belittle anyone who still cares about it. It's like the very existence of film and people who shoot it is a personal affront to them, a middle finger raised at their own obviously "much better" way of doing things, which everyone should do because they say so.

Of course these are the same people who will argue endlessly online over miniscule differences in DSLR performance and go to war over brand choice, or declare loudly that "no professional would ever...". I've come to the conclusion that they are best ignored since they're likely too busy defending their choices to ever actually exercise them.