First and foremost, I'm sorry if this isn't the right subforum. It could just as easily go in the colour subforum, but since I haven't seen this in a long time, I'm guessing it is more of an alternative process. Also sorry for not having pictures, although that would make describing this easier.

In my grand parents' house there used to be a painting of a schooner done using some sort of metalic paint that had a very particular reflective property, almost like chrome was mixed right into the paint. I have no idea what it was, but it mesmerized me as a small child (not a hard feat, most shiny things did, but I digress).

A few years ago I saw a photo print that had the same effect. It was a colour print where the vibrant colours seemed to be made of metal. This is far more than simply a high gloss paper. I asked the photographer at the time what it was and all he said was it was an old process and he had it done by a (now dead) fellow in a small town many miles away. He couldn't remember the name of the process. I do believe it was shot on normal film (though negative or slide I don't know).

I expect this process is all but dead - it was probably horrifically toxic (it really does look like it had chrome mixed right into the ink or paper). But they way it presented colours was breath-taking and utterly unique. The way to presented fall colours was amazing and I'd love ot have access to it for some of my prints.

The closest thing I've been able to find via Google are the digital prints onto Aluminium (which, while off topic, I'd love to hear from anyone who's had first hand experience with those, how do they compare to a colour enlargement?). Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and if so, where I can find out more about it or if any places still do it?