Ron - I doubt I can give a correct technical answer to your observation about handling the cyan layer of Ciba, but from a practical standpoint it's all
about pulling the complementaries against the weight of each other using completely different tricks for each set (and I'm not referring to simple color
balance per se) - kinda like tugging at each corner of a bedsheet until the opposite corner cooperates. Having a narrow-band additive colorhead makes
a huge difference; and I could show sample prints of the same chrome printed onto Ciba with additive vs conventional subtractive sources, and the difference is pretty remarkable. But there is more than one way to skin the cat. People like Chris Burkett (and briefly, Joe Holmes) resorted to sequential
printing techniques with different masks each step (kinda like DT printing); but I found shortcuts to this, and eventually started making very precise dupes
with all the masking corrections already built in, matched to the characteristics of my additive colorheads. Call it voodoo or alchemy or whatever, but it
worked! That's all I care about. But Ciba is Ciba. As I once told Ctein, I learned to dance with it, not tame it.