Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
Ask for hand checking. I always do. That way there is nothing to worry about. The more film, and more exotic film (120 or 4x5), the less objection there is. One time is safe for 800, 2 for 400, 3 for 200 and 4 for 100. That's just 2 trips. No way I'm subjecting my film to that. It's not just the cost of film, but also hotels, plane ticket and rental car, that you're risking to get your shots. And my granddaughter is 10 months old only once.
Most airports outside the US won't do hand checking. The scanners used in UK airports are film safe for even the fastest films for many multiple passes 50+, I met a security officer at Gatwick who sat on the committee that advised on this, made up of people from the film manufacturers, various professional and amateur photographic associations (ironically he was there for the RPS), and the scanner manufacturers.

It's generally forgotten that ensuring the machines are safe for films also means they are very much safer for the human operatives. At one time only men, and women over child bearing age, were allowed to operate the carry on scanning machines.

Ian