There's two sides to this. Undoubtedly shutters need a complete CLA and adjust IF the value of what they are being used for justifies. So if it is a shutter on a ULF and the film is s a sheet you don't want to waste it and need the best accuracy possible.

But, if we are talking about getting an old Retina or a folder with a prontor or compur working again so we can use it, then the lighter fluid process is fine. I recently did a Zeiss Nettar - when I got it is was gummed solid. Removed and soaked in alcohol followed by careful oiling of the pivots and contact surface bits I could see and it's snappy and taking great photos. Stripping a shutter right down is a bit too much for me - I have done it once but time/eyesight make it tough. My results from the cameras I have just cleaned are fine and don't point to massive discrepancies. Perhaps there is a stop error somewhere, but with most film exposure latitude and variability achieveable in the darkroom, I don't worry about it.

So, if anyone reads this thread, don't be put off. Give that stuck shutter a good soaking in lighter fluid or whatever, oil the pivots with a little light oil. If it works, go and take pictures. If it doesn't you are no worse off and can still go for the full CLA if it's worth it.