Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
Part of what I am trying to bring out here is that as photographers we need to be square with ourselves about who the audience is.
Why? I think this is a bit backwards. If it's a good photograph, the proper audience will come.

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
The advantage that I find in shooting for audiences other than myself is that it challenges me more, it helps me learn and improve, I get the privilege of a judge other than myself, someone that can give me constructive feedback. This is a great test of one's craftsmanship, to be able to find out if we've got the chops to do a particular job is exhilarating. This does carry some social/psycological risk in that others might not like what I've done.
I think the only time you should be "shooting for audiences other than" yourself is when doing commercial work. When you're being paid, you have an obligation to the client. In creating "art", your only obligation is to yourself. I'm also not sure how you'd gauge outside "judging". How are you quantifying the feedback? If 6 out of 10 like it, does it prove you have the chops? If 4 out of 10, you don't?