Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
So, specifically, how will your "proper audience" find your good photos? Who exactly are those people? What do they want to see?
I just assumed it would be hanging somewhere a lot of people would see it. A gallery, art festival, coffee shop, etc. By "proper audience", I mean the people who make a purchase.

If you are going to try and sell your work, you will sell more if you understand what your market wants.
I sell a good bit of work, through galleries, and art festivals. In galleries, I get very little feedback (other than sales figures) because I'm not there, other than the opening. At festivals, I get a lot, both through sales figures, and comments. After about 20 years (and roughly 200 festivals), I've come to the conclusion that people pay 50% because they like the work, and 50% because they like you. If they love the work, but think you're a self-important jerk, they won't buy. What your market wants is passion and honesty. Audiences are more sophisticated than they're usually given credit. I know many, on the art fair circuit, who have been sure they've come up with a "can't-miss" product. They're wrong about 90% of the time.

As to how I judge my feedback is more artistic than numeric. If 4 in 10 people liked a photo I did, that would indicate a truly huge market...
I agree. I've done numerous festivals with 50-100,000 attendees. I only need 10-20 of them to consider it a success.