Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
Did you hear that the sea ice grew by 29% in 2013? Probably not. Big time denial going on amongst the warming crowd.
As gently and non-controversially as I can make this crucial point to a well-meaning fellow APUGger...

Just this afternoon while sitting out on my backyard deck I mentioned to the wife that we had never once seen an elephant in our yard. Well then, she replied, I guess they must be extinct. Thinking about this for a moment I realized I couldn't disagree, as that's exactly what my eyes were telling me...

And yes, I did hear that. Did you also hear that the long-term trend line for that particular metric has been moving in the other direction for over a quarter-of-a-century now? You see, it's really not about the individual data point. It's about the total of all of the data points taken together and properly interpreted. Science is not politics.

Reference: Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Forces of Change, Arctic, Shrinking Sea Ice

Reference: National Snow and Ice Data Center, Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis, Sept 20, 2013

"On September 13, Arctic sea ice reached its likely minimum extent for 2013. The minimum ice extent was the sixth lowest in the satellite record, and reinforces the long-term downward trend in Arctic ice extent."

Ken