Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post

I've had these WACs say that to me, then ask me why I don't use digital. When I tell them I have a digital camera, they ask which one. When I say the Canon 7D, they seem perplexed that I'm not using it to be a pro. They suggest just that. They say things like "Maybe you can be a pro like me." I usually just say I make my photos because I love doing it. Then they ask if my camera will shoot in color or only black and white. That last one I was asked over 50 times this summer.
That just screams ignorance - doesn't matter if you are shooting film or digital, not knowing enough about the tools available IS unprofessional, even if you aren't using them (aka thinking film cameras come in one of two flavors b/w or color). The "maybe you can be a pro like me" is unbridled arrogance, and one of the few statements from another photographer that would tempt me to respond with snarkiness - "I couldn't possibly be a pro like you - that would require me to descend to mediocrity" comes to mind. But usually I just grunt non-committally and turn my back instead.

The whole MWAC, DWAC, whatever WAC thing refers to this type of mentality and is not meant to bash anyone. The democratizing of technology leads to this attitude. It was going on in the early 20th century, too, and will continue to. Bill Gates is vilified by Apple and UNIX/LINUX users for creating a system where everyone can use a computer with little to no training. The UNIX/LINUX guys were like the old sage ones, without their knowledge nothing could be done. Now it can and they didnít like it. As things settled down the disdain for Windows remained, but life went on. That will happen with the whole WAC thing.
Only from a UNIX user perspective can you say that Windows lets you use a computer without training. I develop software applications for a living using Microsoft products, and I STILL don't know enough about the intricacies of the way Windows does stuff.