Depends how you are defining "worth it". If you mean it in the sense of financially worth it then unless you do a lot of prints at 8x10 or bigger and are at least semi-mechanised with a machine like the Jobo ATL then the answer is probably not compared to getting a mini-lab do them. My local mini-lab uses proper RA4, is fully mechanised and can give me small prints (6x4) quicker and at a price I would have difficulty matching.

If on the other hand you mean worth the experience of learning how to do it and the satisfaction of looking at a print and saying "I made this" then yes it is worth it.

You won't waste any more paper than learning to print B&W and once you have the colour balance right then producing prints from the same set of negs exposed in roughly the same light conditions is if anything more mechanical and easier.

To give yourself a fighting chance I'd invest in a Jobo processor, a Duka or other type of sodium safelight and a colour analyser but if you enjoy a challenge then you can use trays with a water bath and manage without a Jobo, safelight or analyser. The key question is how patient are you and is the journey as important as the arrival?

Any learning process involves a bit of frustration, a bit of wasted material and quite a lot of time.

pentaxuser