Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
...if I were to go back to rangefinders I'd look for a Leica Summar. Occasionally you can find them in your price range, or at the $200 mark. If the front element is not too bad and there's no haze between cemented elements, they're easy to CLA yourself (there's the usual black paint pieces floating around in there that flake off). A good Summar will give a Summicron a run at f4 and above, and I prefer its old time Leica lens signature. As stated, a good hood is mandatory on any of these.
You know, I think you're the first person I've ever heard recommending the Summar! All I've ever read (outside of Leica literature) has little good to say about the lens. Granted, no one has ever said, "This is a God-awful lens and I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole," but what they do talk about is low contrast, poor edge sharpness, and how there are other, better lenses out there. For that reason I've never really considered one. I may have to look at the Summar more closely, then, if it's in my price range.