Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
Hi DannL,

$-wise, homemade is a lot cheaper. Time-wise, of course you are right. Every step of d.i.y. does add time to a process.

I've come to think of all this as Slow Photography, done for all the reasons gardening and real cooking are done. I'm on the same page as MDR. Knowing your materials and process adds a whole new layer to the experience. Also nice to know that a paper or film will be available for as long as I want to make it, not for as long or short a time as some commercial interest decides they want to.

!
First: MOMUS: NO this isn't America! site is worldwide and run and owned from New Zealand....

A couple of things: first remember not all here are from America, and I can for one state with out question, that a ready made emulsion here is FAR less expensive than the home made one!

Secondly. a lot of the raw chemicals are next to impossible to get here with out a police permit. And a VAT registration... So it is limited what one actually can do, even if we want to...

I have made my own simple emulsions from scratch and it was a fun challenge - and I truely would like to do more...

Also "you" have a formidable opponent these days: the Wet Plate imagery... It is like this has quickly become the thing to do for so many people.. And no matter how bad images made the applause is always great and loud...

I would like to learn wet-plate - incognito, and learn to master the dry method publicly and loudly.... (albeit I think I am almost alone in that..)

However a photographic asylum in America might be first on the agenda..