Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
In relation to your second, I'm certainly not someone who expects "usable results from random combos at the first attempt"; and of course, this particular recipe wasn't a "random combo", but a Kodak formula, although of course (again, as I am perfectly well aware) my materials are unlikely to be of the same grade as those used in a Kodak laboratory.
When it comes to using random combos, I myself am probably one of the worst offenders here with a dozen b&w films and probably over two dozens of developers used (and some combos failed spectacularly, I tell you). I personally see this as a great benefit of today that I can order stuff online, try stuff out and compare it to other people's results and hope you did not see this as criticism of your work. Quite to the contrary, I would like to encourage you to pursue this further, with the right equipment (i.e. pH meter, scale, proper work area, ...) and the right skill set (how to adjust contrast, fog, grain, speed, sharpness, ....) you will gain very nice results and learn a lot about chemistry, more than with this kit at least ....