Don't feel dumb... just don't do it again!

The thick part goes on the viewing lens. It has a prism in it that compensages for parallax. While it appears to bee a fairly decent prism it isnot likely to be a good photographic lens element. There should be a red dot on the thick part to indicate "up" (top of camera)