Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
What I like about SOME models of Rolleiflex is that they make great eye-level cameras. When you open the lid and flip in the front to lower the reflex mirror, you simply give a quick peep through the lens to focus on the ground glass, then scoot up to the open framefinder for the picture. A Hasselblad is a "look down into" camera strictly. An eye-level camera is a much better people camera, especially. People do not respond well when they are looking at the bald spot of the photographer's head. People are naturally skittish enough when a camera is pointed at them. But when they see a pleasant and reassuring face behind the camera, they respond well for the snapshot. When they just see a camera with the top of your head behind it, it's much harder to get them to look towards the camera with a photogenic expression.
This has not been my experience AT ALL. People are threatened more by feeling like something is aimed at them. They are almost universally, again in my experience, charmed and disarmed by my Yashicamat 124 used with the waist level finder (it too has a sports finder you can use at eye level) though in practice I use it more at "neck level" with it held up to my head with my eye against the focus magnifier.

They are generally much more natural and at-ease with the WLF than with the prism on my M645 Pro, which of course is eye level.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
In this day and time, Rolleis have a weak point. When you have a Rollei with "cleaning marks" (SCRATCHES!) on the lens, the whole camera is junk, as far as worth is concerned. A Hasselblad, you can simply twist off the ruined lens and find another one. On a Rollei, when the roll of film is finished, you are dead in the water till you can complete the re-filming process. A Hasselblad is quick-change. The Hasselblad is a camera that is best on a tripod, because of it's vibration. A Rollei needs none. And if you are going to have to drag around a tripod and live with such a boat anchor, then you might as well have a LF A Rolleiflex has the edge, all things considered. But it's a mighty close shave.
I'm really not trying to pick on you or your post in particular *g* but again, if you have a "junk" Rollei, or other camera for that matter, because of cleaning marks (yes, they're scratches, but tiny ones) please send it to me to be disposed of properly rather than tossed out.

Seriously, you'd be amazed how scratched, dirty and crummy a lens has to be before it impacts the results very much at all. It IS true that a lot of tiny "cleaning type" scratches are apt to cause more problems than one or two much bigger and more obvious ones, mainly a reduction in contrast and increase in flare. The former can be dealt with in black and white in printing easily.

I do agree with the rest. I don't have either camera, but I do have the above mentioned Yashicamat 124 and a Mamiya 645 Pro which have similarities in spite of the smaller format of the M645. The Hassy is far more versatile with its interchangeable lenses and backs and through the lens viewing. It can do things the Rollei can't. But what the Rollei does, it does EXTREMELY well, better for my purposes than a big SLR (at those particular things.)