Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
I understand your desire for an SEI photometer. I have one that I bought new in '66 at the first of several AA workshops I attended. The 1/2-degree spot is really nice, particularly if you need to read just the full moon. It's still going strong with the original bulb. But it did require a bit of heady mathematical gymnastics to use which became easier after practice. Like AA, I use it simply to find the luminance in c/ft^2 (which is the reciprocal of the shutter speed); the square root of the box speed represents the f-stop. That establishes Zone V; visualization adjustments follow from there. Heckuva meter.
I've never read anything bad about them. Having the 1/2 degree spot is an attractive feature, and from I've read, the range it can measure is greater than most of today's meters. That in itself is a boon for lower light levels, allowing one to shoot later into the evening. I like that it's sturdy and easy enough to hold on to while working, given the barrel shape. Unfortunately, even a broken one runs $300 when you can find it.

Using my Starlite 2 is sweet, though. I use a process similar to what you mentioned to figure out the luminance values for my notes. Set at f/8, ISO 64, and the reciprocal of the shutter is my luminance, as you said. Once I know that, the math is simple enough.