I started my Nikon addiction on a brand new 1992 F601 AF. I call it my screaming pig. It made all the nicest pictures on E6 and C41 of my growing up kids, but oh man this thing screams! I'm waking up all neighbours when using it. No street machine you can see. Therefor I started buying around (and GASing a little bit) some 10 yrs ago ( and that has stopped now). A lot of Nikons came and went: F401 came and went, another F601 came and went,F65 came and went too, the F100 came and stayed, some cheapo Canon(!)rangfinders came and went, but it was never "in love" with them... then I made a mistake then and bought a beaten up F4S. Only troubles with it so far. I like the beast for it's knobs and handling but it's weighing in a ton, a pro machine indeed but end of life full of defects it's worth zero. Then I stood back and decided to try out the F90X. And there it was: love... Is it because I started on plastic 1992 camera's that I want it to be plastic,... and therefor light(er)? Is it because the damned things are so cheap(50€/F90X)? Is it because they are no bother to me and don't stand in between the subject and the mind? It's that too. So my conclusion: search until you find "your machine" and stick with it, learn the tricks and the quircks of it. There's probably nothing better for you out there...
PS off topic: I wondered through all olympus Mju models too because it's such a nice and everyday usable type of (pocketable)camera. Got myself the Mju zoom 38-70 (made in japan) and the MjuII classic f2.8 to get along for the rest of my life. Full stop here too. they will do the job, everywhere... weathersealed... what'd you want more?