Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
Thanks Bill. I hear a lot of people using "face down on screen" approach with success so I don't know what happened in my case. Do you use hardening fixer?

The prints in question were MGIV WT FB. I squeegeed the water off and lay them face down on the screen. This is the first time I have ever done that. I usually dry on screens, but not face down. They curl, of course, but I put them in a dry mount press which takes most of that out. I was just trying different methods to see if I could shorten the flattening time.
I don't add the hardener to my fixer. But the one time I did put some prints face down I saw a distinct screen pattern later when I toned them. I assume the contact with "anything" made the surface a little "harder" than the emulsion that didn't touch anything. My screens are not your typical window screen material. They are made from super lightweight mosquito net mesh leftover from a camping gear sewing project. Since I consider freedom from screen patterns one of the unique beautiful characteristics of analog photography, the result of even a hint of screen turned my stomach. So for me, face up is my strong recommendation.