You of all people should understand that criticism is FAR more valuable to growth than compliments. If the various post-mortem business analyses I've read are even moderately correct, stifled alternative points of view from within contributed mightily to EK's eventual downfall. No one wanted to listen to those who warned of approaching problems. I've also heard that same thing right here from various ex-EK employees.

If I show ten people one of my dorky amateur photos and nine of them tell me I'm a genius, those nine will each get a sincere smile and thank you in return. But the tenth person who called me a talentless idiot? THAT person will get as many hours of my undivided attention as he needs to explain to me exactly why he feels that way. And when he finishes the thank you he gets from me will be far, far more meaningful, because his criticism was far, far more valuable to my future growth.

Remember, if all one ever does is succeed, one will never grow. It takes failure to stake out the areas requiring improvement. Without failure, and recognition of it, your limits will never be known to you. And without knowing those limits, it's impossible to formulate a plan to exceed them.

Ken

Ignoring the EK bit above, I am curious why you think it's only criticism that will help one grow?
In the example of the 9 vs 1 you give, you assume that someone who calls you an idiot (quoting above) is not one and actually has something useful to answer.

I'm all for seeing multiple points of view, and it *seems* to me that you view only saying -ves gets things moving - I am not so sure that's true.
If you ignore the positives or think they cant tell you anything useful, then youre stuck with possibly a very very narrow stretch of the feedback loop.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk