Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
I frequent digital forums as well as APUG, and my recent experience is that there is no slackening in people's appetite for "better cameras", more pixels, sharper lenses, higher ISOs, and so on. Discussions about the two or three recent new "full frame" digital cameras absolutely dominate the scene. (Capitalism marches on, I suppose)
I can not take any issue with what you say above, except to say I think you have missed my point. The overwhelm majority of people who make photographic images do not frequent gear centric forums such as APUG etc. The mistake I think the majors are making is putting to much effort into satisfying this rather very small market segment. Most people using digital cameras are quite happy with whatever they are using "today" and will only think of replacing it when it breaks, not when there are more mega pixels, better AF or sharper lenses available.

I use a Nikon D700 and it does everything I need it to do for my professional photography. I can't see replacing it for a very long time. It works perfectly with all my old Nikkor glass from the 70's and 80's so I don't see what all the fuss is about with the new retro Nikon. If my D700 breaks I will look at what's available at that time. Whatever is going on with cameras in the interim is just a distraction from creating photographic images.