Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
That's not actually a mind game, it's a pretty well established real phenomenon from special relativity. In a small way, it's a practical concern with GPS signals---their timing is affected by relativistic effects, not by a very large amount but enough to have practical effects on the position computation.

Quantum mechanics, not antimatter. That's the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum theory; it's probably not in itself actually a "theory", in the sense that it's not testable. Trying to think too hard about this stuff is the quick route from physics to epistemology; the latter is an interesting place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Well, the thermodynamic kind of entropy sort of argues that time *isn't* "just" a human construct, it's a property of physical systems; at least the "arrow" nature of time is. Relativity says time isn't as synchronized as it looks at the human scale, quantum mechanics says the far end of the arrow isn't as predictable as it looks at the human scale, but the basic concept of time (best defined, I think, as "time is what keeps everything from happening all at once") seems to hold together as a "real" thing, at least inasmuch as we can call anything "real".

I submit that this discussion isn't even off-topic, in that photography is fundamentally about (the illusion of) defying time by turning temporary light into permanent light. As such, anything that can be said about time should lead to something that can be said about photography.

The many-worlds interpretation has obvious similarities to multiple exposures. Exercise for the reader: What tools does the photographic vocabulary have to address relativistic time dilation?

-NT

Yeah, I said mind games because it's fun to think about it. Some of it is pretty proven theory on a theoretical level.

As for our sense or testability of time, we are of course dealing with our ability to reason and test these things and that in itself may be suspect.

A couple of things:

Our reality may that our universe is merely the dirt under the fingernails of a large being. I'm sure a flea or a microscopic being thinks that their reality is pretty important too.

The thing you mentioned about photography is what probably drew me to it. The ability to stop time. To freeze it and display it for others to see as well. That's a pretty amazing thing, all things considered.

As for time lapse, it's a mind fuck to take a time lapse shot of a scene and have someone walk through it and when you develop it, the person is not there.

So the analogy is we live about 80 years. In two hundred years, were we ever really here.

So the question is are we real? Are we really here? And where is here?