Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
Wait so if you have both the 100 and the 100 F versions of Velvia, how come you don't know the difference betwen the two? Lol

And yes I was speaking about the US market, of course in Europe you can still get it, but over here there's no distributors whatsoever for V50.

As I understand it however the 50 is specifically designed to be shot in low contrast situations, where the 100 versions are better in higher contrast situations, so even those ours to use differently. I just want to know if the 100 or 100 F versions are any different, I do know that one of my favorite shots was shot on the V100, and the other was shot on Provia 100f, and the shots that I did take on V100f came out under exposed, so I can't really tell if I like the film or not I don't have enough experience with it and I obviously failed to expose it properly, these were long exposures and so I'm not sure if it's because I didn't take into account the reciprocity failure that V100f had that the V100 didn't have, or some other reason... I've only shot it a few times (the 100F version) and it was -15F and so I wasn't really able to take notes, i had a hard enough time adjusting the aperture without loosing a finger

Globally it is inventory-backstocking that is coming onto the market, that's why there is so much available; I suspect though the stock will expire long before it is sold because digital continues to eat away at the market.

Velvia 100 is very, very contrasty and easily blows highlights and blocks shadows — far too easily and more readily than the stalwart RVP50. Velvia 100F is not the same as 100; the two also have dissimilar palettes and require tweaks of exposure. Reciprocity failure is the very least of your concerns with any Velvia emulsion. The trick is to expose all Velvias in the light they were designed for: diffuse or soft, and never bright point illumination which will show just how tempestuous the emulsions are. Sure, people use Velvias for weddings, that's their prerogative, but it's also a silly choice considering far better emulsions, and non-E6 at that.