I'm a contact guy, but I've owned 2 8x10 enlargers, including an Elwood. My suggestion would be, if you can afford it, to get a GOOD enlarger like a Durst or DeVere. Both of those enlargers will let you control alignment much better, etc.

DeVere: http://www.khbphotografix.com/devere/
Durst: http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/products.php

I'm not recommending either company seen at the above links; just providing the links so you can see pictures of enlargers.

Yes, I know it's expensive, but photography ain't a cheap thing.