I am sick, and therefore additionally ornery from my normal state, so I'll be coming off grumpy... But...

For someone like Annie Leibovitz, do you really think any of her film work was actually darkroom printed by her? No, you would be an idiot to think that, it was sent to the magazines who either did their old school magazine print thing (I don't know what it's called but it wasn't RA4 or traditional B&W printing with an enlarger it was some other process to make rolling stone, and after that it was drum scanning the film, the same for the likes of Steve McCurry, and many others.

So the type of film/equipment etc is CRITICAL to their style and image outcome.

And I can certainly tell the difference between Kodachrome, or Kodak 400CN or VS or New Portra or Fuji color negative images, they all have a distinctive look to them, if they all looked the same then they wouldn't make different types, just one type...

The same is true for B&W. There's just more types of B&W out there and more variables (different developers etc) and so I like to know what people used.

Most likely Annie sent most of her stuff to a lab, even the B&W stuff so it was D-76 or HC-110 in a machine, but still the film is important to understanding the process the artist went through.

If you don't think it's important or relevant, or that you can just use one film for all situations either you're a magician or an idiot or delusional...

Again, I'm sick and grumpy and I'm tired of people telling me to only shoot one film, I don't want to, and I'm not going to, I'm going to shoot EVERY film I can and want to and use each one for its purpose until I settle on a few.

End of grumpy rant.