Unless you are handling very corrosive things (like concentrated sulfuric acid, concentrated solutions of sodium hydroxide, and the like), almost anything will do. For the corrosive stuff, polyethylene aprons are available from scientific supply stores. For routine stuff, photo stores, woodworking supply shops, and hobby stores all have very good aprons from time to time. I've seen good ones offered by Freestyle and Photographers' Formulary. I use either one I got from Freestyle or one I got from Shopsmith (woodworking tool company). They are almost identical.