The nice thing about open-book exams are the answers are there for you. The bad thing is you probably aren't really retaining much in that scenario. I feel the same way about LCDs on digital cameras.

I'm surprized when one of my photos comes out well, but that is more a technique issue. Keep in mind, I basically just take snapshots - I'm not like the rest of you

It is never surprizing that I get what I want on film. I don't own a digital camera, but have used friends' non-SLR digitals. No amount of staring at that LCD helps me figure out what the photo will really look like printed (or even on a computer screen) because of the constant adjustments the electronics make and the nature of the little screen. I'm not comparing film SLR to digital point-and-shoot either.

I find the LCD and viewfinders on run-of-the-mill digital cameras do not accurately represent the physical area captured as well as any film camera I've used. Thus, I _have_ to view the image after taking the picture. Even on $20 point-and-shoot film cameras with thumb-wheel film advance, what I see in the viewfinder is what I get in the picture.

As far as exposure, if I'm in a room with decent light from windows, and I don't use a flash, I get a decent picture all around; interior exposure is good and I can see through the window. I know this, and don't worry about it. With digital, even without flash, sometimes the pictures is the same, sometimes the room is too dark and the view out the window is fine, sometimes the interior is fine and the window is practically black.

What surprizes me is how, with all the modern technology and computerization, that it's more difficult for me to get what I want just by pointing and shooting without thinking about it.