Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
One thing which bothered me for very long time was, which grey is dome's grey? Though it is secret from the manufacturer but it has brought an insurmountable confusion in understanding a rather very simple concept.

Now, I am quite happy to meter(dome facing the camera) the shadow illuminance at box speed and developing it with a speed loosing developer.
i believe that one of the reasons many people feel more comfortable with reflective metering is that they get the connection between subject and exposure, or in your case between tone and exposure.

To a great extent this explains for me why so many people enjoy and get respectable results from center weighted camera meters.

The same can't be said of spot metering. The results can be significantly better than CW'd metering but spot metering is a true step into abstraction (visualization), subjective judgement, accuracy in aiming, and the world of film sensitometry and physics. If you don't "get" the concepts of zoning and how that carries through from scene, through film, onto paper (and I honestly believe that only a minority ever do) spot metering will be a frustration.

Incident metering for the first timer requires a small leap of faith, that a given amount of light will create a given reflection off our subject. The "problem" for incident metering is that it is "almost too easy". It is so good at getting a high quality camera setting with the dome pointed at the camera that most people never step past that and use it creatively.