Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
Like it or lump it, that's how H.C-B and Karsh and Leibovitz and Stern and Nadar... the list is very long... operated. The tradition that acclaims them as photographers is, I reckon, a lousy one and not worth worshipping. I don't see the denigration in admiring them as exposure-makers supported by a team of picture-making employees. It's just another path to great art. But it isn't the art of the photograph maker. The argument would be moot if it were not for the existence of acclaimed photographers who don't just stop at exposures. I'm thinking of people like Julia Cameron, Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Weston, Ansel Adams...the list is very long...and many people at APUG who actually make the photographs they sign. The two groups are different, the makers and non-makers, and I know which lot I admire.

Maris, making a decent contact print or a simple enlargement from a negative is very easy and fast nowdays using modern prefabricated* materials. Why do you value this last step, which can be pretty straightforward and easy to accomplish, so much?

*it would make a difference if these materials would have to be made by the photographers from scratch